A City that has Everything and Way More
Here the antique mixes with modern life in each cultural circuit Beyond its modern and cosmopolitan image full of contrasts due to its historical heritage, the city of Panama invites visitors to visit three interesting circuits:
Here the antique mixes with modern life in each cultural circuit
Beyond its modern and cosmopolitan image full of contrasts due to its historical heritage, the city of Panama invites visitors to visit three interesting circuits: gastronomic, the historical-cultural and the one that presents our biodiversity; unique on the continent. These three elements and how they have occurred on Isthmian soil make this capital city a unique place as a meeting and transit point in the region.
- Via Argentina: Located in the heart of El Cangrejo Sector, this avenue has always been a reference as a gastronomic point for its more than 80 places dedicated to providing the best of national and international food and beverages, among restaurants, cafes, internet cafes, bakeries, patisseries, taverns and gourmet chalets. Most are small places one next to the other, in which restaurants with renovations stand out, others with terraces overlooking the Andres Bello Park. It is recommended to walk to enjoy the pedestrian adaptations. Among the places that are recommended to visit in Via Argentina are:
- The Trapiche: Specialized in Panamanian cuisine since 1983, it is one of the most recommended typical restaurants for tourists. Apart from their authentic dishes, they have excellent service, in an environment that recreates the interior countryside. IG: @eltrapichepty Tel. (507) 381-0981.
- Murphy´s California Kitchen Pub: One of the best “spots” to try the best Irish food and international dishes menu. Very visited for its pleasant atmosphere, good service. Now with a pool table and unique moments like La Hora Loca, all in order. IG: @murphyscaliforniakitchenpub Tel. (507) 6327-1062.
- Del Prado Restaurant: Specialists in preparing internationally popular sandwiches, and for their executive menus. Located in a popular corner of Via Argentina since 1963. IG: @restaurantedelprado Tel. (507) 264-2645.
- El Pavo Real: A place to enjoy good food and live performances, birth place of Rock in Panamá as this popular Pub-Restaurant is known, they always have promotions of snacks, dishes and drinks to taste while playing pool, watching a game or enjoying local musicians. IG: @elpavo.real Tel. (507) 6065-3558.
- Pomodoro Ristorante Italiano: The best of home-flavored pasta with a traditional Italian recipe can be found in this space. They also have starters, snacks, desserts and sangria prepared in the best European style. IG: @pomodoropanama Tel. (507) 387-4455
- Other restaurants worth mentioning are Manolo (Churreria, Cafeteria, Spanish and international food), La Rana Dorada (Brewery, snacks and international food), Taberna 21 (Fish, seafood, barbecue and Spanish food, Rincon Habanero (delicacies of Cuban food). and The Raj (Indian Food).
- San Francisco: It is the hub of emerging Panamanian gastronomy. Today it brings together notable examples of local, international and fusion cuisine marked by the cultural exchange of the recipes, added to the quality of local land and sea products that can be purchased. The San Francisco area is considered a mecca for restaurants, especially gourmet ones in Panama. At the same time, it has given way to multiple ventures such as “Food Trucks” and positions designed for the needs of vegetarians, vegans or lovers of healthy recipes.
- Casa Escondida: Within a striking and cozy room, this restaurant with a homely feel has snacks and dishes with Caribbean, American and Mexican cuisine specialties. IG @restaurantecasaescondida Tel. (507) 387-3978.
- Intimo: Its concept is to create close moments between the diners and the creations of the Chef of the house. They propose new techniques to achieve recipes recovered from the Caribbean, such as cod with potatoes, pixbae (fruit of a local palm tree) with foie gras or curried shrimp toasts. IG: @intimorestaurante Tel. (507) 388-1365.
- La Despensa Maito: The only restaurant in the country that has been included twice in “The Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants”. Each dish is prepared with fusions of local and international flavors, prepared with seasonal organic products. Each recipe is creatively presented to impress the visitors. @ladespensademaito Tel. (507) 391-4657.
- Cuquita Cookita: Led by the talented Chef Cuquita Arias de Calvo, unleashes her creativity to surprise and pamper diners by offering them the flavors and colors of Panamanian cuisine. In a comfortable, modern and homely space where you can taste flagship dishes such as rice with plantain, sealed tuna, Baked Alaska and Cuatro Leches (Four milks). www.cuquitacookita.com.
- Other restaurants that deserve to be mentioned: Athen’s Pizza (Greek and Mediterranean food), Avantika (Thai food), Benihana (Japanese food), Olive Garden (Italian food), Segundo Muelle (Peruvian food) and Los Años Locos (International food).
- Bella Vista: It is one of the most historic sectors of the contemporary era of the capital city. Every corner houses gastronomic treasures, some of these emblematic restaurants evoke European cuisine within well-preserved houses with a beautiful “Bellavistino” architectural style. Over time, cafes with a classic executive menu began to emerge, small local food establishments, popular franchises in squares, even spaces have been created for small gastronomy ventures of foreign and typical Panamanian food, even stalls with “Food Truck”. Due to its proximity to the Calidonia area, there are interesting contrasts in the gastronomic offer that range from Creole food to the most gourmet dishes.
- Salsipuedes: Established within Hotel Bristol, this restaurant is one of the pioneers in promoting signature cuisine inspired by local flavors. This is how they exalt Panamanian gastronomy. IG: @salsipuedespanama Tel. (507) 264-0000.
- Sukhi Southeast Asian Cuisine: Traditional Southeast Asian food whose name Sukhi in Thai means happy and healthy people. On the menu you can find traditional Thai and Vietnamese recipes. IG: @sukhioline Tel. (507) 395-6081
- BrioBrasserie: It stands out for its atmosphere and unique elegance. It is located inside the Hotel Wardolf Astoria and offers dishes inspired by modern French food, for demanding palates. IG: @wapanama Tel. (507) 294-8000.
- The Executive Cafe: Located in the Executive Hotel, this restaurant is a meeting place for families and friends to enjoy the delights of international food in Panama City. Breakfasts are a favorite of many people, as they are delicious and can be ordered at any time. www.executivehotel.panama.com
- Cultural Circuit: The city of Panama was the first Spanish settlement on the Pacific coast, and its lands have caused events that have had repercussions throughout the country and the entire world. For this reason, every visitor should visit the museums that keep that history that has shaped the character and minds of the Panamanian.
- Panama Viejo Museum: The museum tells the history of Panama in its pre-Hispanic, colonial and modern stages. A learning experience that allows you to learn more about the history of this archaeological site, founded on August 15, 1519. www.patronatopanamaviejo.org
- Biomuseum: Designed by famed architect Frank Ghery, this natural history museum is located in the Amador area, at the entrance of the Panama Canal. Its galleries tell the story of the rise of the Isthmus of Panama and how it divided two seas, changing life on earth forever. www.biomuseopanama.org
- Canal Museum: It has ten permanent exhibition rooms where the events of the interoceanic route are chronologically exposed from its construction to its most recent extension. Located in the Old Town. www.museodelcanal.com
- Mola Museum (Mumo): Inaugurated at Old Town at the beginning of 2020. This space seeks to give relevance to the Guna indigenous people, represented in large part by the making of molas, a textile art known around the world. Phone: (507) 383-1227.
- Museum of Contemporary Art (MAC): Place created to promote the development of the cultural ecosystem, through reflection, learning and exchange on contemporary art. They have a permanent collection of national and international art. www.macpanama.org
- Museum of Religious Art: Located at Casco Antiguo (Old Town), in the Santo Domingo de Guzman Chapel. This historic site with more than 300 years exhibits part of the heritage that churches and wealthy families gathered over the days in the new world. Many of the objects come from artisan workshops in Quito, Ecuador and Lima, Peru. For information call: 228-3986.
- Natural Circuit: Although this city has become famous for its skyscrapers and modern architecture, it is possible to visit a variety of places within the metropolitan area that offer contact with nature. Among the activities that can be carried out are bird watching in tourist tours as well as visits to open spaces.
- Old Panama: Declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, it is also a RAMSAR (wetland area) site of international importance. Among the species of birds that can be watch are: Cocoi Heron, White-winged Sandpiper, Spotted Wagtail and the Black-necked Stilt. It was even possible to observe for the first time the “Common Nictibio”, a nocturnal bird. www.ramsar.org/es/humedal/panama
- Ancon Hill: It is the highest point where you can enjoy beautiful views of the city. It has trails where birds such as the Green-billed Toucan, Enligado Trogon, Coroniamarilla, Bienteveo Rayado and the Amazilia de Cola Rufa have been sighted. It is also a place where the migration of birds of prey passes; more than two million hawks and buzzards between October and November.
- Metropolitan Natural Park: It has 232 hectares (573 acres) in the heart of Panama City. Most of the park is made up of low-lying Pacific dry forest, which is atypical in Central America. This forest is home to approximately 254 species of birds that can be seen on guided tours. www.parquemetropolitano.org
- Birdwatching is one of the sustainable tourism activities that can be carried out in Panama City, for this reason, the Panama Bird Festival is being held, where experts in bird watching from the country and abroad are exhibiting and participating.
- Canopy Tower: Located in the middle of the Soberania National Park, this old radar tower converted as a hotel, has a panoramic view of one of the most beautiful bird habitats in the world. It is the paradise of everyone who likes bird watching. The observation deck is 15 meters high and from there you can also see the ships passing through the Panama Canal. www.thecanopytower.com.