Hospitals and Medical Professionals with International Certifications
Medical industry has invested heavily on technology, infrastructure and hospital accreditation The activity focus on health care tourism or health tourism has been carried out in the country since 2011. Among the advantages that Panama offers
Medical industry has invested heavily on technology, infrastructure and hospital accreditation
The activity focus on health care tourism or health tourism has been carried out in the country since 2011. Among the advantages that Panama offers to attract tourists who wish to be assisted by local doctors, are hospital infrastructures from the private sector and connectivity with other countries. To this can be added the number of qualified doctors recognized by the local and international medical union.
Another important point is its historical connection in medicine with the United States, especially in the area of epidemiology, among others. It could be said that Panama is in a position to become an important Hub of Medical Tourism in Latin America, which is why it has been working on the regulation of this activity through the approval of a law that will further promote medical tourism at international level.
Trust in the System
The historical relationship of Panama and the United States, left a legacy in terms of medical care with patients, similarities in medical procedures, facilities and the application of American standards in terms of service and quality.
There is a large infrastructure in terms of private hospitals, and two of them are fully certified by the “Joint Commission International” (JCI). The main private centers have medical accreditation granted by the local government and non-governmental organizations. Most of the best medical complexes are affiliated with hospitals around the world and have been recognized by large organizations such as the Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins International, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Miami Children’s Hospital, Baptist Health International of Miami ,Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, to name a few.
In the Panamanian territory there are hospitals where they have experience in medical services for the military, it was the first in the region to have the Da Vinci robot for surgeries (2012), and currently there are more than two hospitals with the Da Vinci Robotic Surgery Center.
It has also kept on innovating with heliport facilities in private hospitals such as the Santo Tomas Hospital belonging to the state, which were very useful to attend serious cases with Covid-19.
Competitiveness in Specializations
The global connection and alliances between major hospital networks with local hospitals; medical insurance that covers more international territory so that more tourists feel safe when traveling, and due to access to information through technological platforms, have opened up more opportunities for the country to position itself in the health field.
Hospitals and health companies in the country offer a wide range of services and procedures at more accessible prices, among which the following stand out:
- Ophthalmology (cataract surgery, LASIK, among others).
- Plastic / Aesthetic Surgery (face, breasts, liposuction, body contouring)
- Fertility Treatment (IVF in vitro fertilization) among others)
- Orthopedics (knee or hip replacement)
- Dentistry and Dental Treatments
- Bariatric Surgery / Morbid Obesity
- Stem Cell Therapy
- Cardiovascular Surgery
In addition, post-operative recovery packages, primary care and follow-up are offered to improve the quality of life of the elderly or with some disability, correction of previous surgeries to mention a few.
Tourism in the middle of the Pandemic
Currently, all borders and accesses are open, both maritime, land and air. The latter maintains strict requirements and travel protocols for Health Emergencies, among which are:
- Upon arrival you must present a Certificate of Swab Test / PCR or negative antigen with a maximum of 48 hours prior to your visit.
- If this certificate is not available, the passenger must undergo a rapid Covid-19 test at the airport (30 minutes of waiting per result), whose approximate value of $50.00 and $85.00 will be assumed by the traveler prior to their passage through migration.
- Correct use of the mask at all times, only withdraw to eat or drink liquids, for facial recognition in immigration, customs or police service and keep distancing measures.
- Only children under three years of age and people with special conditions will be exempt from using a mask.
- People who have already been vaccinated will be able to present their vaccination card, however they will keep using the mask like the others.
- Passengers who do not belong to the same social bubble must travel with two meters of distance between them.
Most Important Hospitals in the Country
Hospital Nacional: It has more than 46 years of experience in the national market. www.hospitalnacional.com.
Hospital San Fernando: First hospital accredited in Panama by JCI (Joint Commission International) thanks to its quality and reliability. www.hospitalsanfernando.com
Brisas Hospital: New hospital on the outskirts of the city that offers high quality service. www.hospitalbrisas.com.
Paitilla Hospital: Part of the Hospiten International Group with a presence in Spain, the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Jamaica. www.hospitalpaitilla.com.
Hospital Punta Pacifica: Affiliated with John Hopkins Medicine International. www.pacificasalud.com.
Hospital San Fe: the main provider of medical care for tourists and cruise ship and ship personnel transiting the canal. www.hospitalsantafepanama.com.
The Panama Clinic: First Hospital in Panama and the Americas to receive a “Certificate of Compliance: Covid-19 Safe”. Integrated to the Pacific Center medical complex. www.thepanamaclinic.com.